before the 3rd party audit we were happily trusting TrueCrypt because a LOT of us end users were plain ignorant.
I'm not a programmer I'm an administrator, and ever since the TrueCrypt story broke I have seen more articles in the computer trade press (and some of the regular press) about TrueCrypt than I think I've seen in the previous 10 years of TrueCrypt's existence.
A lot of those articles bring in additional crypto information that a lot of people who have followed crypto for years have known already - but the general public and general end users have NOT ever been told about - or maybe heard once but didn't connect the dots.
Here's some of the stuff I've seen in TrueCrypt articles since May 28th:
1) Lavabit mail collapse
2) Snowden's courier hard drives encrypted with truecrypt were not cracked
3) Microsoft's COFEE and their refusal to answer NSAKEY questions
4) Various USB dongles like Rubber Duckey
5) The Brazillian banker's disk that wasn't cracked
6) Reuters multiple news articles over the years reporting on government inserted backdoors
7) Many anonymous posts from people on various blogs claiming that businesses need backdoors in their encryption (like the bitlocker key escrow thing that Microsoft put in Bitlocker) because people forget passwords.
Taken all together, in such a short space of time, has made it apparent to many people that yes, there is indeed an active effort on ALL world governments to undermine encryption, and has been for many many years.
Up until this I think a lot of people might have dismissed many of these reports as flukes, or overactive government investigators, or "that just happens in the China dictatorship" and so on, because we only go them a little at a time over the years.
Fundamentally this is an educational issue. The US Government or any other government is never, ever, ever, going to tell you that NO, they really DON'T want you to have encryption good enough that they can't crack it.
But the reality is that not only do they NOT want you to have that, ALL of the governments are actively working to subvert it. For YOU of course, NOT for THEM.